Tuesday 5 May 2015

Three Things You Need to Become a Champion


By Abel Pagaling Twitter: @abel_pagaling 

When I was asked to join this group, I immediately thought about what it would take to be a champion.  
To me, “champion” is a powerful word.  To be a champion means to push through the average and do more, learn more, and achieve more.  And in the process of becoming a champion, you transform into a more capable and confident individual.
My exposure to the “champion” mentality started in my late teens.  I was an avid Taekwondo practitioner.  After 4 years of training, I obtained my black belt.  I wanted to be the best in my club and in competitions that I went to.  I trained hard, worked hard, and did all I could to be the best.  
Did I win all my competitions? No.  Did I become a famous black belt? No.  But what I learned during those years of training is how to think like a champion which has served me well through the years.
It boils down to three things.  To be a champion, you need:
  1. Vision
  2. Focus
  3. Support
Vision
The Bible says, “Without a vision, people perish”.  This is true in any endeavor, and especially true if you want to become a champion in anything you put your mind to.  
Surviving day-in and day-out will not take you or your organization to the top.  If you want to be a champion, you need to have a vision of what you want to accomplish, when you will accomplish it, and how you’ll accomplish it.
Don’t just rely on “hope” that things will work out.  Be in control.  Have a vision to work towards.  The clearer the vision, the more passion you’ll have for it, and the more likely you will achieve it.

Focus
During my martial arts years, to win my sparring matches, I had to be focused.  I’ve learned that it’s not always the fastest or the strongest that wins, but the most focused competitor.
The reality is that we live in the world where distractions are always around us.  News, social media, relationships, and our own emotions can easily make us unfocused.  
Without focus, it’s going to be difficult to achieve the best results for your efforts.  
An individual lacking focus might not achieve anything significant at all.  I think the reason why many people are overwhelmed or busy all the time is because they lack focus.  They’re doing too many things that don’t align with their vision.  They can’t say no to distractions from friends, relatives, television, or social media.
Simply put, focus is the price you must pay to become a champion.   You have to say no to a lot of good things so that you can achieve great results towards that one thing you really want the most.
What separates champions from average people is their ability to devote their resources, time, and emotion to achieve a specific goal. 
To be a champion, your vision has to be your primary concern.  Everything else is secondary.  

Support
No one becomes a champion alone.  To focus on what matters, you need a strong support group, a mentor, a partner, or an assistant to help you along the way.
Personally, having a mentor is what I recommend.  A mentor helps you clear your mind so you can refocus.  A mentor tells you what you need to work on so you can improve your game.  In the basketball world, a mentor is like your coach, giving you the necessary input and insight to win!  But a mentor is only as good as your ability to listen and accept feedback.  
Having a mentor doesn’t guarantee success, but it gives you the best chance for success.   To be a champion, you need this kind of support.  Behind every champion is a mentor or group of mentors.
You also need to have an emotional and spiritual support.  This is where family and church or social groups factor in.  
Make sure that the people around you BELIEVE in what you are doing.  By definition, “support” means to help you stand and move towards your goal.  Don’t allow negative people to influence your performance.  Limit your time with them.  Always PROTECT your vision.  
Be careful when selecting the people you want to support you.  
Some will be drawn to you automatically because they believe in what you believe.  Others, you may have to find.  This is where networking with like-minded people in social media sites such as The Filipino Champions of Canada (TFCC) becomes beneficial.  
As I mentioned, being a champion is to be above average.  Is it difficult to become a champion?  Yes.  Is it doable?  Absolutely!  The news is filled with champions in sports, business, and community.  
Challenge yourself.  You can be a champion!  Start by having a clear vision of what you’d like to achieve, focus your time and energy towards this vision, and build a support that will help you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment